Thursday, September 13, 2007

My Challenge


A couple days ago Kim asked if We had done a challenge. It got me thinking about the best one I had entered in my guild.

I belonged to a Guild in Bowie which is 75 miles south, because my DD got me into it as she was going there. Every year they would have a challenge. This time they had lists of Nursery Rhymes in a bag and we were to pick out one and make a quilt to represent that nursery Rhyme. Mine was The Old Women in a shoe,had so many children she didn't know what to do. We didn't have any other restrictions.

I decided to make it Sun Bonnet Sue. What a time I had finding some fabric with children on it to cut out and applique on. These were like dolls and different dresses. I ended up using everyone on the half yard of fabric I bought. It was fun. Then of course had to put a quilt in it. Very Tiny. Thought the tumbling blocks made a good border. What they do is put them all out at the meeting . No one was suppose to know who made which one. Then everyone voted on their favorite.

I see from the label this was in 1997 and I won

1st place viewers choice
1st place applique
2nd place design

Not bad. This is the little story I put on the label.

There was and old women "SunBonnet Sue"
Who lived in a shoe
She had so many children
She didn't now what to do.
They helped her make a Quilt and went out to play
Sue hung the quilt up for all to see
The children were so proud as could be.

I had to stop going to guild when my husband became disabled and the gas started to go up so high


4 comments:

Kairle Oaks said...

Congratulations on all of the awards for this quilt, Eileen. It looks so fun!

Ironically, when I was in Boston they showed us the grave sight of Mother Goose in the Granary burial grounds. Of course, when I came home and looked it up online I found that this woman was is only one of several who could have been the real Mother Goose.

Kim said...

I love that quilt, Eileen! The tumbling blocks really frame it beautifully too!

Mar said...

too cute!!

Tina said...

Beautifully done.