Friday, September 28, 2007

The Star Garden

By Nancy E. Turner

I just finished reading this wonderful book and just had to tell you about it.

This is the third book she has written about Sarah Agnes Prine.
The first was These Is My Words; the second was Sarah's Quilt.

I recommend starting with the first one as they each take up where the other leaves off.

Kim recommended These is my Words to me last year saying it was about the settling of Arizona in the 1800s.

This interested me since my Mother was born in Florence Arizona in 1894 and had told about it and the troubles her family had. Finally left after losing 3 little brothers to the Flu. It left the youngest boy with a very raspy voice. My Grandmother wanted to leave that awful place, so they went back up to the San Joaquin Valley where my grandfather had been from.

He settled in Turlock and homesteaded.

So these books really hit home for me. Such a good story about our country and the trials that the settlers had.

Hope you enjoy as much as I did.

1 comment:

MARCIE said...

I can't wait to read The Star Garden! I read the other two and they are amongst my favorites! I always think of my grandmother who was raised in Alberta in similar circumstances. What a life!