Thursday, December 17, 2009

I HAVE BEEN WORKING

Sorry I have been so long getting another post in. With trying to get some things done for Christmas and with hubby taking time going to doctor's appointments. He had all but one molar taken out of his upper jaw and a new plate put in, then the plate didn't fit right and his gums started to bleed after a week. So the surgeon had to stitch them closed so that set him back a bit. Needs to go back to the dentist tomorrow for some work to the plate and checking out the gums. Sure hope they are starting to heal good. He has lost weight which he needed to do because he has been on a soft diet but none of it is good enough for him to eat. Fussy. But in my time at home I have gotten most of the pieces sewn to Bonnie's mystery and then this week with her putting up how the blocks go together. I wanted to see and this is as far as I have gotten. Have lots more pieces to sew together., but had to stop and get a quilt finished for my son. It's this where I ask for some help. I had quilted the top and wanted to quilt the border but just am not good at free motion. Had this roll of a feather pattern which really works neat. It has glue on each side that adheres it to the fabric. Then you sew over the pattern. Any of you that do free motion feathers no you have to follow the stitching a couple times to do it without cutting thread. Well when I peeled the paper off there were lots of tiny pieces that did not come off. Because I didn't go over the same line like I should have. catching the paper. This was worse than peeling paper off of paper pieces blocks. Any help out there? How did you get those tiny pieces out? I used a sharp pointed twizers my hubby has and did get most of them.
I had to take a picture showing this piece still on and you can see the ones I have taken off the white left
This is the completed quilt. See the border. Don't look too close. I love this quilt with all the plaids. One of my Hollow friends had this quilt on her bed in the hotel room when we had out retreat in Kansas City a couple years ago and I decided that was what I was going to use these plaids for. This shows the full quilt. Now it is on it's way to Colorado for my son for Christmas. Merry Christmas George
One of the things that has kept me so busy is the Physical Therapy I've been going to at the Spine Center. They are so good and helped me to get along with my back pain. One thing that I needed to do was raise my working area. All these years I have been leaning to much to cut and iron or press. This is a picture of my 6 foot table that with the help of DD when she was up last week to put the risers under the legs. It's just right. But you can see in the right corner the ironing big board 6 in. shorter. No wonder I have a bad back. Ladies you need to watch this because it can really damage those discs as you age.Worked great but now what can I find to be firm enough and fit on the top of those containers.?
Went shopping at Wal-Mart. First found some large plastic pans but when I went back there was only one. Looking around I saw these plastic shoe boxes. Bought two of them and they were perfect but felt I needed two on each side.You can see them in this picture. The only problem is I can't put anything in them.Can't open them with the board on. It has a long 2 in strip of wood that supports the ply wood. This was maid to be use on a ironing board to make more space to iron large pieces of fabric.
Excuse the stacks of fabric sitting around. Doesn't every quilter have that? My sewing machine and table extension is next here on the right.
Those bins have fabric sorted by color. No Thimbleberries there. It's all in another shelf.
So that brings you up to date on what I have been doing. Hubby is doing very well in his therapy and am hoping to bring him home on Sunday, weather permitting for a trial run then the Pt's think he will be ready to come home before Christmas.







8 comments:

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Your quilt is beautiful. I like all the plaids. It's wonderful that you have arranged your sewing space to fit your body. Our things should be convenient for us, not the other way around.

Mrs Quilty said...

That quilt for George is beautiful! I love the plaids too!! He is going to love it! Your sewing space looks like mine, fun but messy...I love all those bins too, it seems to keep things more organized. Glad you are having fun sewing in the midst of physical therapy and taking care of hubby! It keeps you sane, I'm sure. My sewing does that for me...it's real therapy! Well, Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

I only have used that paper border one time. After I got most of the paper out, I washed the quilt. But I always wash them once they are all finished. Not sure if you do that.

I love your big ironing surface! Your brother didn't make that for you, did he? I have wanted one of those! My room is small (well, and really crowded already!) but I'd love to have that!

Smart idea to get them a better height. Is the correct height based on your height? Is there a way for each of us to know a good height?

I had to enlarge the picture of your ironing surface to see that pin cushion on the pedestal! :) Love it!! :)

Anonymous said...

You have been a busy gal Eileen. Sure glad to hear that Geo is probably going to be home for Xmas. I hope this time all goes well and he doesn't have to go back to the hospital. I am sure either way is hard on you. At home you take care of him and at the home you run to see him and take his goodies.

I really like the quilt you made for DS. Plaids are a favorite of mine.

Wishing you and Geo a very Merry Xmas.

Linda Z

Lindah said...

Wonderful that you were able to get your work surfaces raised. So important!

Quilter Kathy said...

Your mystery blocks are amazing! You must have one fantastic scrap box!

Beth said...

BOY! You HAVE been busy! I had trouble too getting all my tables at the right height. My husband was not happy that I discovered that the kitchen island is PERFECT. My big mat 'lived' there for over 6 months! Just so you know, all the surfaces in my house are 'protected' by stacks of fabric,UFOs, quilt books, etc. You are NOT alone!

Jan said...

Your quilt is so beautiful! Glad you got it done in time for Christmas present! Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! From Anne Gentle's Mom, Jan